It was scary all over again. I am re-learning how to train a horse. Luckily she is smart and willing. I did it before, I can do it again!
Wednesday, July 8, 2015
First Day of Training!
Adapting to her new home was a bit of a change! Its not the country, its the city! So its a little scary! Tunka came out of the trailer shaky but followed me courageously! In her new pen, Star was not very welcoming! Grinding her teeth and pinning her ears and charging the fence at Tunka the whole night.
I put her halter on her and she fallowed me so sweet. With out thinking I tied her up and began to walk to get brushes, I look back and she is sitting back in the halter with all her weight. she is pulling tugging and yanking her head! My heart is pounding and I am freaking out thinking about all the horror stories of horses horribly damaging themselves from this! I couldn't get her untied because she put all of her weight on the lead rope and made the slip knot incredibly tight. Luckily she soon figured out that she couldn't go anywhere so she let up on the pressure. I called for Augustine and he brought me a new lead rope (this one was almost torn). He came over got the slip knot free. Both Tunka and my own heart racing we walked back to the pen, and I decided to tie her up in there. She did it again did little rears and flung her head around. she fell on her side and again I panicked. I was almost about to free her when Augustine stopped me and said "She needs to learn. If you free her she will learn that if she pulls she is free. Let her pull, she will learn." So as hard as it was I let her pull, and she stopped. But I made a mistake I was trying to tighten her halter and she stepped back and got free before I could tie it. So at that I decided to work her the next session on tying.
It was scary all over again. I am re-learning how to train a horse. Luckily she is smart and willing. I did it before, I can do it again!
It was scary all over again. I am re-learning how to train a horse. Luckily she is smart and willing. I did it before, I can do it again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment